Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Reunited


I've been reunited with the aran sweater that I knit for my mom in about 1988. I thought she had given it away, since I didn't find it when we sorted through her things after she died. That didn't bother me too much, because I knew she was very pleased with my effort at the time. The fit was a little snug, but I think she wore it a few times. It turns out she kept it at the lake, where the temperatures might get cool enough to wear it. That's where I found it, in the bottom drawer of my dresser. Dad said I could have it back and I will love wearing it.

I must say, I did a nice job considering my lack of knitting experience. I remember ripping out the neckline a couple of times to get the ribbing to lay flat. I didn't know how many stitches to pick up. (I designed the sweater myself) And then I had trouble with the bound off edge being too tight.

Thanks, Mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm so glad it's come back to you now. I see so much of my younger knitting self in it, having designed and knitted one somewhat like that--a white Aran--back when I didn't really know about gauge swatches, etc etc.